I have a very love-hate relationship with SXSW. Working for a concert promoter, I should probably be more jazzed/in the loop than I am, but oh well. I have my schedule figured out, but we all know that when it comes to SX the best plan is no plan. Float along, have some cocktails, listen to good music - and people watch. It's by far my favorite past time when SX rolls around. If you don't have a wristband/badge have no fear -- the best parties at SX are free! (in my opinion). Here's a link to all of the unofficial parties this year. Warning: serious information overload.
The Free List 2010
You can find me at the following parties, and if I'm not there - check Stubb's or the house across the street. I've more than likely set up a tent and locked up my car keys.
• Wed 3/17: Noon-5:30pm -- QuinnStorm and C3 Presents @ Lambert’s (Henry Clay People, The Delta Mirror, Nathaniel Rateliff, Dawes, The Whigs, etc.)
• Thurs 3/18: Noon- 9pm -- Eastbound & Down (Sweet Leaf Tea) @ 1001 E. 6th St. (Lots of bands, most importantly - Kid Sister)
• Thurs 3/18: 11pm-3am -- C3 Late Night Party (If I'm up that long...)
• Fri 3/19: 11:30am-4pm -- Frontgate Ticket's "Morning After Party" @ FGT Headquarters (Wendy Darling, White Dress, etc.)
• Fri 3/19: 12–5pm Village Voice Party @La Zona Rosa (The XX, Superchunk, The Pains of Being Pure At Heart, Surfer Blood)
• Sat 3/20: 11am-4pm: Rachael Ray's "Feedback" @ Stubb's (She & Him, Bob Schneider, Jakob Dylan, etc.)
• Sat 3/20: Perez Hilton’s “One Night in Austin” (ALWAYS great for people watching)
Another thing I like about SX -- funny band names:
We Were Promised Jet Packs
Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.
B*tch Slap Brunch
John Dear Mowing Club
Iwrestledabearonce (I sense a theme...)
The Bike is a Pipe Bomb
Love of Diagrams
Also, I'd like to include a picture montage from SXSW '09 just to remind myself how much fun I will have this year:
(1) Hanging with Rachael - she was not as excited to be in this picture as we were. At all.
(2) Our new BFF from Semi-Precious Weapons. Lots of make up tips.
(3) Me & P. Hil exchanging phone numbers. Not at all -- he was totally ignoring me and texting someone about how there was no way in hell they were getting into his party.
(4) P. Hil getting over himself and taking a picture with us.
Ok, that's all for now. After SX, there will be a prize for whoever spots the most pairs of black skinny jeans. On a guy. That weighs under 105 lbs. And hasn't showered since Nov '09.