Tunes & Tales

[TUNES]
I've been trying to broaden my musical horizons lately, and while doing so, I've come across two great albums that I can't stop listening to.

First and foremost, immediately go to iTunes and download Childish Gambino's debut album Camp.  I'm not normally a hip-hop person, but my friend Kristen introduced me to CG while at Lollapalooza, and I'm obsessed. Not like I'm-gonna-wait-for-you-outside-your-tour bus-so-you-should-be-scared obsessed...but maybe. Ok, not really.  His lyrics are wildly intelligent and create the perfect soundtrack for a dance party in your car on the way to work. Not that I do that either...*cough.* (Note: You might recognize Donald Glover as Troy from NBC's Community [he was also a writer for 30 Rock, BTW.])  I can't wait to catch him again at ACL next month!
 

Secondly, I've had Las Vegas based rockers Imagine Dragon's Night Visions on serious loop since it was released last week (thanks for the rec, LB!).  It's catchy, it's rocky, a little bit poppy, and just overall amazing.  That's really all I can say about it. Amazing. Oh, and you're welcome.

[TALES]
I have a seriously weird addiction to crime shows (i.e. Dateline, 48 Hours: Hard Evidence, and basically anything that airs on the Investigation Discovery (ID) channel.).  For instance, I may or may not have watched 8 straight hours of Wicked Attraction: Couples who Kill on Sunday. Don't judge me. That being said, when I heard about suspense writer Gillian Flynn's latest novel, Gone Girl, I purchased it immediately and couldn't wait to dive in.  The Chicago Tribune states that Flynn's novel “draws you in and keeps you reading with the force of a pure but nasty addiction."....and that really sums it up.  Gone Girl is the classic tale of Girl Meet Boys, Girl Marries Boy, Girl Goes Missing (hence the title), and then all hell breaks lose. And it's amazing.

While I'm still completely obsessed with Gone Girl, for my latest read I needed something a bit more, shall we say, light hearted. Cue: Jenny Lawson's Let's Pretend this Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir).  Lawson's 'memoir' recounts her childhood growing up in rural Texas, her awkward teen years, marriage, work and family.  My personal favorite chapter is “A Series of Angry Post-It Notes to My Husband.”  Prepare to laugh out loud at this high-larious novel.  Just don't do it alone in public. People will think you're weird (i.e. me at the nail salon this weekend).

Also on the literary note, the lineup for this year's Texas Book Festival was announced this morning.  The annual festival benefits Texas public libraries and literacy through its Library Grants and Reading Rock Stars programs. (Note: I would like to be considered a 'Reading Rock Star' from this point forward. K, thanks.) Happy reading!