While 'anything goes' during SXSW, I've chosen a few staple pieces that will make the perfect foundation to your SX wardrobe.
1. Chambray Shirt - Goes. With. Everything. Worn alone or over a cami, it's extremely versatile. Also, remember that layering is key, due to Austin's unpredictable weather. It can easily go from 75 to 45 in a matter of minutes. Trust.
2. Maxi Skirt - Comfortable, yet chic, a maxi skirt serves as perfect component to any SX outfit. It easily transitions from day to night--which is convenient considering SX doesn't allow for many 'costume changes' between events. [Hint: If you get too warm during the day, simply knot it up, for completely a different look.]
3. Long Cardi - Again, Austin's weather is as fickle as Taylor Swift's love life. Never trust it. Having a light weight, yet fabulous, sweater/jacket is ideal during those late SX nights. [Note: I have this cardi, and it's amazing. Cozy like a robe, yet, acceptable in public.]
4. 'Leather' Shorts - Whenever I wear these, I immediately feel like a rockstar--no matter where I am. They go perfectly with your favorite band shirt [see below], or for a more dressed up look, try pairing them with a silk button down, and some edgy jewelry.
5. Vintage Band Shirt - There's no better time to rock your favorite concert tee than SX. Worn with 'leather' shorts [above] or these sexy things [on sale!], you're sure to look the part. For a more day-time look, pair them with your favorite cut-offs and boots.
6. Printed Denim Skimmers - While black skinny jeans seem to be the SX uniform, break away from the pack with these printed cropped jeans. Believe it not, camo is a neutral--so these can be worn with anything from stripes to neon.
Most importantly, be sure to check the forecast before you hit the streets. Nothing's worse than being ill-prepared. Think like a boy scout, ladies.