DIY: Wine Bottle Tiki Torch

This DIY combines two of my most favorite things, and the blog's namesake: spray paint and wine. Wine bottle tiki torches aren't groundbreaking by any means--they've been popping up all over Pinterest--but they were something I couldn't wait to put my own spin on.  Plus, we all know I've got plenty of empty wine bottles lying around.  (Side note: I'm sure my recycling guy thinks I host alot of dinner parties.  I don't. I just really have a passion for good bottle of $9.99 Sauv Blanc.  For inquiring minds, Oyster Bay is my new jam.)




- Empty wine bottle
- Painter's tape
Krylon Premium Metallic Spray Paint in 18 kt. Gold
- Funnel
- Aquarium pebbles
- Tiki fuel 
- 3/4" x 3/4" Brass male sweat adapter 
- Electrical tape
- Tiki torch replacement wicks




First, fill your sink with hot, soapy water and let your wine bottles soak to remove the labels.  I did this one morning before work, and by the time I got home, the labels just wiped off with a paper towel.  With your painter's tape, create your design.  I wanted one torch to look "dipped," so I just covered the top portion, and for the other one I created a striped design. [Another side note: If you're in the Austin area, be sure to tune in to KXAN's Studio512 this Friday (8/26/16) at 12:30pm CST, and I'll be making the striped tiki torch live on-air!  For those not in the area, don't worry, I'll post the video to my Youtube channel, as soon as it's available.]


In a well ventilated area, quickly spray your bottles with gold spray paint (or whichever color you chose). Make sure you spray about 6" - 8" away, and use quick, light strokes to prevent dripping.  Once your bottles are completely covered, let them dry for about 30 minutes, and remove the painter's tape.  

Using a funnel, pour in approximately two cups of pebbles.  This will not only keep your torch from tipping over, but you won't have to use as much tiki fuel to fill it up.  Following the rocks, fill up your bottle, about 4/5 of the way, with tiki fuel

With electrical tape, wrap the base of the brass sweat adapter so that it fits snugly into the spout of the wine bottle (about 5 - 6 times around). 

Pull the wick through the brass adapter, leaving about 1.5" at the tip.  Insert into the spout of the wine bottle, ensuring a tight fit, and you're done! 

Now, all that's left to do, is light 'er up and watch 'er burn.  Wine bottle tiki torches are great for outdoor entertaining, ambient lighting, and if you make sure to use the citronella scent, they're amazing mosquito repellants.  Cute & Zika-preventative?  Yes, please. 



Labels: , , ,