DIY: Golden Pineapple Pumpkin

As  I mentioned in my previous pumpkin post, when coming up with new no-carve decorating ideas this year, my goal was just create my most favorite things--out of pumpkins.  Figuring out how to make Sauvignon Blanc or NoNo (my cat) out of a pumpkin seemed way too hard, so the next thing that came to mind was, duh, BRASS PINEAPPLES.  If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that I'm more-than-slightly obsessed with them and that my collection has grown infinitely over the past year. Creating a 'brass' pineapple out of a pumpkin was the perfect way to add some "fall" to my decor, and it was super easy to make!...once I figured out how to make it...




- Faux pumpkin
- Poster board
- Scissors
- Hot glue gun + hot glue
- Gold spray paint





On  white poster board, I drew free-hand three different sized fronds: large, medium, and small.  Once I had the sizes drawn and cut, I used them as stencils to create the rest of the fronds.  I ended up using 3 large, 5 medium, and 6 small ones.  For reference, I made the tallest frond almost as tall as the actual pumpkin, and then scaled down from there to make the others.  The size of your fronds will depend on the size of your pumpkin.

Starting with the largest fronds, I hot glued them around the stem of the pumpkin, slightly overlaying them as I went.  Once all of the larger fronds were glued on, I followed with the medium, again overlaying them, and finished with the smaller ones.  After they were all glued on, and I felt that they were secure, I slightly bent each frond outward a bit to create the pineapple look.  Finish with a couple of coats of gold spray paint, and ta-da!  The golden pineapple of my fall dreams!  You might have to go back over the fronds a couple of times to make sure you've gotten in all of the crevices.  I couldn't be more pleased with the final outcome, and since it's a faux pumpkin, I look forward to setting it out for many falls to come!

Labels: , , ,