Fall Front Porch Update


I've been paying so much attention to the interior of my home for the past year that I've admittedly left the exterior neglected--and it showed.  As the saying goes, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression," and I don't think anyone would have looked twice at my little front porch unless it was to point out the fact that all of my plants were dead.  Now that it's somewhat beginning to feel like fall in Texas, I took advantage of the cooler weather a couple of weekends ago and gave my front porch a mini-makeover--and don't think for a second that spray paint wasn't included! 

I've partnered again with my most beloved spray paint brand, Krylon® to give my front porch the update it so well deserved. 

- Large planter of your choice
Krylon® ColorMaster™ Paint + Primer in Matte Paprika
Krylon® ColorMaster™ Paint + Primer in Satin Ivory
- Painter's Tape
- Plastic trash bag

1. Make sure your planter is dry and clean of any dirt or debris. Before spray painting, be sure to read the product label for proper preparation, application and safety instructions. 

2. In a well-ventilated area, spray your planter with your first color--I used Krylon® ColorMaster™ Paint + Primer in Satin Ivory --and let it dry.  Since I was painting a dark colored planter with a lighter colored paint, it required a couple of coats for complete coverage.  The Krylon® ColorMaster™ Paint + Primer dries fairly quickly, so it should be safe to handle after about 20 minutes. 

3. To create a "dipped" effect, I covered the top portion of the planter in plastic and used painter's tape around it so that I got a straight line.  I also used a level to make sure that my tape was straight all the way around the planter. 

4. Using your second color, in my case Krylon® ColorMaster™ Paint + Primer in Matte Paprika, spray the bottom portion of your planter.  Again, this required a couple of coats, but after 20 minutes, it was dry!  I let my planter sit for a day before I planted my fall mums, and then voila! 

I have a collection of random pots in my garage, so I pulled this off-white pot/sauce combination from the pile and played around with Krylon® Spray 'n Peel spray paint in Aztec Gold Metallic, which is their customizable, removable line of paint.




Krylon® Spray n' Peel in Aztec Gold Metallic
- Small pot of your choice
- Painter's tape
The Aztec Gold Metallic is so pretty and great for fall because it's a more muted gold with just the right amount of sparkle.  I'm tempted to cover everything with it!  Again, be sure to read the application directions closely, as different paint techniques can vary. Krylon® Spray 'n Peel requires one quick, light coat, followed by four to five heavier coats, letting the paint dry for five minutes in between coats. I did learn that its best not to paint a full design with Spray n' Peel, since the paint is formulated to peel off.  Instead, I simply taped off the rim of the pot and painted the bottom portion, and I couldn't be happier with the end result. I wanted to peel off a little piece on the back of the pot, so I could show you just how removable it is. The Krylon® Spray 'n Peel is perfect for projects like this, because in the spring I can easily peel off the Aztec Gold Metallic and spray it with a bright color, like Matte Blue Surge for a simple change.


With the addition of some coordinating outdoor pillows and a new door mat, I'm quite pleased with how my mini-front porch-make over turned out.  The whole process only took a couple of hours, and was the perfect reminder that a little bit of spray paint can really fix just about anything. Happy fall, y'all!




Labels: , , ,