DIY: Galentine's Brunch Ideas


For those of you unfamiliar, Galentine's Day was coined by Parks & Recreation's beloved lead character, Leslie Knope, and occurs every February 13th to celebrate the lady friends in your life. And let's be honest, Galentine's Day is basically way better than actual Valentine's Day--am I right?  I mean, there's champagne, brunch food, everything's pink, there's likely some sparkly stuff, there's more pink, and did I mention champagne?  Oh, and all of your favorite gal pals are there...I should have lead with that. But also, champagne

Speaking of champagne, today's DIY combines two of my favorite things: cocktails (duh) +  accessorizing = accessorizing your cocktail.  WHAT COULD BE BETTER?!  To create tassel wine charms--or "earrings for your drink," as I like to think of them--you'll need 25mm stemware hoopsembroidery floss, a business card, and scissors.

















Wrap your embroidery floss around a standard sized business card 15 times.  Cut.










Slide the floss off of the card and through the stemware hoop. 









Fold the floss in half, over the hoop.  Cut an approximately 3-inch piece of floss, and tie around the top of the tassel.  Knot twice.









Cut the loops and trim edges so that the tassel is even. 









Stare at your tassel in awe an amazement as you realize that that just took less than one minute to make.  

Make more tassels. 


And now that you've accessorized your cocktail, why not accessorize your brunch pastries with a fun little pastry banner?  You'll need bamboo skewers, baker's twine, washi or masking tape, and scrapbook letters.  Now, you're probably thinking to yourself, "Does this girl use scrapbook letters on everything?" And the answer is basically, "Yes, yes, I do." Or, you could have not been thinking that or all, or don't even care. Whatever. But you should know that you can use scrapbook letters on everything--and you should. They're my second favorite crafting supply behind spray paint. 



To create the banner, I cut a foot long piece of baker's twine and tied each end to two bamboo skewers. I then tore 3-inch pieces of red masking tape, and folded them over the twine, to create the pennants.  After I that, I went back with scissors and trimmed the ends of the tape to look like banner flags.  With my trusty scrapbook letters, I stuck on a fun little phrase for the occasion.  You could easily do someone's name, school mascot, or even your favorite Beyonce lyric.  The options are endless. 

For other fun, girly touches, I made festive drink stirrers by hot gluing sparkly pink pom-poms on to red lollipop sticks.  I'm also a sucker for a good napkin fold, so folding my red and pink napkins into hearts was a no-brainer.  You can get the full tutorial here. And to top it all off, I just threw sequins all over the table.  Sequins make everything better, much like champagne.  And now we've come full circle. 


To see these projects in action, check out my segment with KXAN's Studio512 from earlier this week!

Labels: , , ,