Updates: iPhone edition

Although I got a nice, fancy, smarter-than-me camera a couple of years ago for Christmas--I still tend to use my iPhone for all of my photographical needs. Whoops.  Hopefully once I've finished everything on my 'to-do' list around the house, I will take nice, grown-up pictures for your viewing pleasure.  Until then, this is what we have to work with.

This morning, as I was getting ready for work, I thought I would take a couple quick snapshots just to let you know what's going on in my neck of the woods. 

Exhibit A.  Remember these bookends that I was lusting for last month? After searching high and low for a budget-friendly option, I finally found THESE at the new HomeGoods in Bee Caves.  I literally squealed with excitement once I spotted them--and most likely scared the employees. At $19.99, the price was just right! For those of you in the area, they also had purple and a teal color. Such a great find!



Secondly, here are the La Fiorentina pillows in action!  Don't they look smashing?  I also scored the little elephant pillow on my trip to HomeGoods and think it goes nicely with my elephant side table, and elephant bookends.  Sensing a theme? 
 

My dear friend Cori is coming to stay with me this week, and the thought of having fresh flowers for a house guest just makes me happy.  I snagged these hydrangeas, some hot pink carnations, and coral colored roses at HEB last night, and they really just make a world of difference (for not alot of money!)



One of the features I love about my place is the insanely tall ceilings.  I felt as though my dinky curtains weren't doing my bedroom justice, so I ordered and hung these a couple of weeks ago.  Although they're only about 2 feet longer than my original curtains, they make the room look they much "grander" -- is that a word? Cheap and easy fix!


And for my last trick, here's an 'in progress' picture of the new book shelf situation.  (Tip: Do NOT attempt to build anything from IKEA with your significant other.  Things will go bad. Very bad.)  However, once the screaming and attempts to set the TV stand on fire subsided, it has all been assembled and somewhat installed.  I still have some horizontal shelves that I need to put up, but that will get done in time. 

As a matter of reference, here's what the 'nook' looked like previously:


And here's a grainy picture of its current state!  Once the shelves (above the TV) are installed and I hang some artwork (see next post), I think this space will FINALLY be done! 


I spent Saturday night painting the backs of the bookshelves and the hardware (don't be too jealous of my happenin' weekend...)  And I think those small 'enhancements' made the piece not scream "I CAME FROM IKEA!"

Speaking of new hardware, I also replaced the hardware on my dresser in the bedroom.  I ordered these from Lowe's and gave them a good ol' fashioned coat of gold spray paint.

(Left: new hardware, Right: ugly old hardware)
That's it for now, but stay tuned for more updates around the casa!